Wisteria shorts

so far I've knit 3 pairs of shorts to consider for the wisteria "stump" embellishment.
I think this pair is the winner. It's the same yarn as the original wisteria soaker but I overdyed it with some purple to give it a variegated look. I highly recommend this method for first time dyers that want to try a variegated yarn but don't want to invest in lots of dye and mess up a lot of yarn. I simple take the hank or commercially dyed yarn, fold it in half so that 2 ends of the hank are dipped. I like to tie yarn around it so I can hold it, and tie it off on a hook by by stove so it stays dipped without falling into the dye. Heat the water with vinegar and maybe some salt, not boiling just very hot. Add the dye, stir it up. Dip the yarn in, letting approx 1/2 stay out, let it cook for a bit on LOW. Let it cool, wash it out and if desired wash with eucalan to be sure all the dye is washed out. (good for cutting down static and makes knitting machine happy) If it's bleeding, wash with syntrapol, and cook the yarn in a vinegar and water mix on very low for a couple of hours perhaps. Do not be tempted to turn up the heat.
I finished up the cuffs last night so they are ready to be embroidered.
The wisteria is sending out tendrils of vine to attack my house. It's creeping me out.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home