Sunday, July 31, 2005

Finished up my first longlegs for the fall!




ahh...am happy to report that I am FINALLY happy with all of my design choices and can just knit some pants this winter. Hopefully, a lot of pants!
I knit up some yummy longlegs in soft chocolate brown Knit One Crochet Two parfait wool - trimmed with Cascade Eco in an oatmeal color. Then I embellished them with a wheat motif. They turned out great - knitting went well without any major problems which is always a bonus ;) These pants have the gansey gusset.
I did the waistband a little differently - still have an elastic waist but I figured out a way to do it after the pants are finished which is GREAT because I can decide color/waistband size/ and if the pants are worth finishing at all haha. The new design is also kinda cool looking too which is nice.

No pics tho - am deciding when and where to offer them. It will be thru Midday Faire of course as are all of my embellished pieces now - but not sure when.
oh - size large 21" hip 21" rise 12" inseam. The might grow a bit after washing but that's about right.

I pulled out the poor abandoned fairy pants from last year and lanolized them to be sure the dye was set before I continue the embroidery. I'm hoping to finish them up soon.

My custom....yes I'm STILL working on it. That is one patient mama let me tell you but it is SO freakin cute. I keep visiting it - stealing away from my daily toddler games to open the bag and giggle over it. Kinda silly. I am being very careful to keep my dd from seeing it because she will go nuts and want it! Yes, I know she doesn't do wool, right? doesn't matter, she wants the cute soakers lol

Still have some shorts to finish up - keep an eye on midday faire for those. It is kind of late to be selling shorts I suppose but maybe someone will want them that lives in a warm climate.

Let me just take a moment and thank Kirsten of Babywoolies.com We have been corresponding about machine knitting and soakers in general. She has made some really helpful suggestions as far as how to proceed with knitting pants. We have very different patterns so we aren't really talking patterns. I did email her to start to ask how the heck she made her pants lol. I just could not figure it out from photos. Anyway, we got to talking and I told her the technical problems I was having with my pants knitting. I suppose that having someone look at my design problems from a totally different perspective made all the difference. She said "why not...???" suggesting something so obvious and yet I never thought of it. It's all about how I knit, the order that I do things, not the pattern. I was having trouble developing an effective and efficient production method. Now, I can knit pants and by adding one step it really really takes the stress out of it - both on the yarn and me lol!
On the flip side I made a suggestion to her that might help her with knitting soakers so hopefully we're even :)
She does the most magnificent colorwork which with a machine must be knit flat so her approach is quite different from mine. I lust after her knitting machine sigh...one day. I'd really like to try some of the gorgeous fair isle designing.

adding a pic of the Wheat in the Knees longlegs...
Elizabeth

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

http://www.curlypurly.com/wwfblogring/images/wwfbutton.jpg